Session 4: Effective Technical Assistance Organizations & Supervisors
1. Share goals/action steps related to TA organizations and consider implications for each level of the TA system.
2. Share promising practices for enhancing the effectiveness of technical assistance organizations:
· Recruiting a diverse team of supervisors
· Professional development, ongoing support and supervision and supporting across the agency, Individual TA Professional Development Plans
· Creating peer-to-peer support and Communities of Practice
3. Policies, procedures and implementation protocols within state wide or regional TA system.
4. Creating more choice points for programs and considerations around developing priorities for TA within a state or region
Susan O’Connor is the School-Age TA Specialist for the National Center on Child Care Professional Development Systems and Workforce Initiatives (PDW Center). She has an MSW in community organizing and community development, with a range of experience in building the quality of out-of-school time learning experiences for children ages 5-18, prior to joining the PDW Center as the School-age Specialist. Previously, Susan was the Director/Consultant for the Hasbro Summer Learning Initiative, which was a national-award winning effort that increased learning outcomes for children and the quality of 40 summer program, with support of over 20 literacy and curriculum coaches. During the 1990’s, Susan was a Research Associate at the National Institute on Out-of-School Time (NIOST), where she developed the national standards and a continuous quality improvement approach.