III. Approaches to Technical Assistance and Coaching
Connecting Technical Assistance Across from Infants/Toddlers through School Age
In partnership with BUILD, the National Center on Early Childhood Quality Assurance (ECQA Center) produced this webinar exploring technical assistance and coaching across the age spectrum of infants to school-age children. Contributions from Susan O’Connor (National Center on Afterschool and Summer Enrichment), Kelley Perkins (State Capacity Building Center), and Katherine Falen (National Center on Early Childhood Development, Teaching, & Learning) are also featured. Click here to view the webinar.
Instructional Leadership and Coaching Models that Support and Sustain Continuous Quality Improvement
In this webinar from the National Center on Early Childhood Quality Assurance (ECQA Center) and BUILD, innovative models of instructional leadership and coaching are shared. Contributors Marsha Shigeyo Hawley (Ounce of Prevention), Rebecca Klein (Ounce of Prevention), and Valerie Mendez-Fariñas (Lastinger Center for Learning) discuss lessons learned and adaptations made to expand reach and better support sustainability in local programs and state systems. Click here to view.
- Lastinger Coaching Model
- Lastinger Partnership Principles
- Lead Learn Excel Program Overview
- Lead Learn Excel Curriculum Overview
- Lead Learn Excel Leadership Competencies
- Lead Learn Excel Supporting Instructional Leadership
- Three articles from the OUNCE that show how the 5 essentials can be part of a comprehensive approach to professional development and leadership strategies to foster adoption of best practices:
- Early Care and Education Coaching
- National Center on Afterschool and Summer Enrichment (December 2017). Voices from the Field: Creating a Successful Formula to Engage OST Programs in Quality Improvement Systems
- Practice-Based Coaching Collaborative Partnerships
- Primetime for Coaching: Improving Instructional Coaching in Early Childhood Education (2017) by B. O’Keefe. Offers an analysis of early childhood and education programs and research at the state, local and federal level with particular focus on Head Start programs.
- Strategic Directions: Technical Assistance Professional in Early State Childhood Professional Development Systems (2013) by B. Young. A policy brief that examines the field of coaches, mentors and consultants working in early childhood programs.
- Strategies to Improve Instructional Practice in Early Childhood Settings by Lori Connors-Tadros, Ph.D., Center on Enhancing Early Learning Outcomes and Sarah Daily, Ph.D., Child Trends. Based on a state information request to review national research on best practices that have been shown to improve results on the Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS), with a specific focus on research that impacts instruction and is applicable to teachers in school and community-based settings. (April 2018, FastFact)
- The Stage of Change Approach for Quality Improvement in Early Care and Education
- Top 10 Tips for Coaches (2014) by NCQTL. Presents their top 10 coaching tips.
- What Do We Know About Coaching? (2014) by NCQTL. Presents guidance on how to best deliver the types of professional development supports teachers need for improving their practice.
- What Good Coaches Do by Jim Knight