Session 6 - Continuous Quality Improvement
- Continuous Improvement in a System Building Context
- Continuous Quality Improvement Community of Practice
- Continuous Quality Improvement in Early Childhood and School Age Programs: An Update from the Field
- Continuous Quality Improvement Indicators Report – from the Quality Compendium 2018
- Meeting the Promise of Continuous Improvement: Insights from the AdvancED Continuous Improvement System and Observations of Effective Schools
- Culture of Continuous Learning Project
Breakthrough Series Collaborative Project
- Culture of Continuous Learning Project: A Breakthrough Series Collaborative for Improving Child Care and Head Start Quality
- Culture of Continuous Learning Project: A Literature Review of the Breakthrough Series Collaborative: The Breakthrough Series Collaborative (BSC) is a structured improvement methodology originally developed for use in the health care field. The Culture of Continuous Learning (CCL) Project examines the potential of the BSC to support the organizational capacity of child care and Head Start settings to test and implement program improvements. This literature review examines the evidence base of the BSC and introduces a Theory of Change.
- Culture of Continuous Learning Project: What is the Breakthrough Series Collaborative? (Video)
- Shifting a culture of compliance to a culture of CQI: Though it is quite long, we recommend you read pages 17-24 and 68-73 in A Resource Guide for Head Start Programs: Moving Beyond a Culture of Compliance to a Culture of Continuous Improvement from OPRE, the “Indicators of a Culture of Continuous Improvement” and the “Core Competencies of Organizations with a Culture of Continuous Improvement.”
- The role of leaders in creating a culture of CQI: The Ounce’s Lead Learn Excel website has many resources aimed at the role of ECE program leaders and directors with the goal of catalyzing their ability to be instructional leaders who cultivate a culture of CQI. Their four-page brief The Five Essentials Supports Framework for Continuous Professional Learning and Improvement describes five related characteristics of leadership.
Readiness for Change
- The Stage of Change Approach for Quality Improvement in Early Care and Education is a policy brief by Shira M. Peterson ad Miranda Cairns. This paper provides an analysis of readiness to change and aligns states of readiness with ways to focus support services.
- Scaling-up Brief is a policy paper from the State Implementation & Scaling-up of Evidence-based Practices Center. Readiness for change, stages of implementation and creating readiness for change are addressed in this short paper.
- If you are interested in the role data can play in CQI, you might find the following publication from OPRE useful: Data Use for Continuous Quality Improvement: What the Head Start Field Can Learn from Other Disciplines, A Literature Review and Conceptual Framework
- Three articles from the OUNCE show how the 5 essentials can be part of a comprehensive approach to professional development and leadership strategies to foster adoption of best practices: